Human Rights in Cuba

Time To Change

Calendar
Waiting for help
Waiting for help

The Law on and Its Effect / Anddy Sierra Alvarez

Anddy Sierra Alvarez, Translator: Unstated

Raúl Castro spoke about the laws governing Cuban emigration, giving hope

to the citizens of Cuba that they would gain the to , a

right enjoyed by all people throughout the work, Cuba being the exception.

The purpose of the law on emigration is to tie the hands and feet of the

country's professionals. Since there is no acknowledgement or incentive

allowing a worker to enjoy the fruits of his labor, the government knows

that it cannot open the gates since it would be left without the

productive workforce that a country needs.

This change to the emigration policy is still eagerly anticipated, but

time passes at the speed of light and there has been no adjustment to

the law.

The blows to the gut that the government receives from athletes is

nothing more than a response to the refusal to let the sports of boxing

and baseball compete in professional leagues; athletics and volleyball

are a different situation. They complain and humiliate the government

with "treason" (leaving the country), but it is the government that

forces their decisions.

Organizations with travel privileges such as cultural institutions,

which have seen an increase in trips abroad by actors and singers who

participate in international cultural exchanges, give the impression

that the situation for travel in and out of the country is improving.

But those who leave have the confidence of the government. They are the

95% who return to Cuba, with Carlos Otero* making up the remaining 5%.

But what the average Cuban wants is the freedom to leave when he sees

fit, not when the government decides he can leave.

*Translator's note: A popular Cuban television personality who

defected to the United States with his family while on a trip to

in 2007.

June 25 2012

http://translatingcuba.com/?p=19445

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Zapata lives
Zapata lives
No place to live
No place to live