Human Rights in Cuba

Time To Change

January 2017
« Dec   Feb »
Waiting for help
Waiting for help

Among last Cubans to cross into the U.S., migrant at home in Hialeah

Alvaro Moreno, a Cuban who was among the last few undocumented island
migrants to cross the Mexican border into the United States shortly
before President Barack Obama ended the “wet foot, dry foot” policy,
reached his ultimate goal late Saturday afternoon: his family’s home in

“What saved me from not getting stranded in Mexico after the policy
changed was that I slept on the international bridge between the two
countries,” Moreno, 29, said in an interview soon after arriving at his
relatives’ home. He’d made a two-day road trip from Laredo, Texas,
aboard a van that he and other Cuban migrants leased after they reached
the U.S. side of the border before sunrise Thursday.

The arrival in Hialeah marked the end of a long journey that began in
early December when Moreno left his hometown of Guantánamo near the U.S.
Navy base on the eastern tip of Cuba. From the start, his goal was to
make it to Hialeah, where his cousin Horacio Wilson lives with his
family — all of whom welcomed Moreno with hugs, kisses and screams of
joy. For Wilson, it was the first time he has seen Moreno since he was 3.

Moreno and other Cubans who slept on the international bridge between
Laredo and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, managed to enter the United States at 2
a.m. Thursday, only hours before the surprise revocation of the policy
that for years accorded preferential treatment to undocumented Cuban
migrants. The new policy, which treats undocumented Cubans like other
undocumented foreign nationals, went into effect Thursday afternoon.
Now, Cubans who show up on U.S. soil without visas are subject to

By the time the new policy was announced, Moreno and his companions were
already in the U.S. and in the process of arranging transportation to
Hialeah and other cities along the way. Other Cubans were dropped in
Houston, Tampa and West Palm Beach.

Moreno said that he and 10 other Cubans left the island on Dec. 3. He
said that eventually, seven of the original group reached the
international border bridge, but that only two of the seven managed to
cross into the United States.

The original group traveled first by plane to Guyana on the northeastern
shoulder of South America. Then they traveled by boat to , and
then by to Colombia, where they crossed to Panama by foot and on

Every time they crossed a border, they had to pay guides or bribes to
the authorities to let them pass. While in Panama, they were able to
cross relatively quickly to Costa Rica and then to Nicaragua, Honduras,
Guatemala and Mexico.

In Tapachula, a Mexican city across from the Guatemalan border, Moreno
and the other Cubans were detained by immigration officials for eight
days. When they were released, they were given a safe-conduct pass that
allowed them to reach the U.S. border. They took a plane to Mexico City,
then another flight to Nuevo Laredo, where they immediately went to the
international bridge.

At 6 p.m. Wednesday, they arrived at the entrance to the U.S. side, but
American passport control officials did not process them immediately.
Moreno was given an appointment to return at 1 p.m. on Thursday.

Many of the Cubans who received appointments for Thursday afternoon
decided to return to the Mexican side to sleep in a . Moreno
decided to stay on the bridge because “something told me not to go back
to Mexico.”

At 2 a.m. Thursday, he said, a U.S. immigration official approached him
and the others who stayed on the bridge and allowed them to enter the
and Border Protection office on the bridge, where they were
processed under the prior policy. They all got documents known as
paroles that will allow them to apply for permanent residence after more
than a year in the country and then citizenship.

“Fifteen of us on the bridge were fortunate enough to be able to enter
the United States,” Moreno said. “Had I gone back to sleep on the
Mexican side like the others I would not be here today.”

At 8 p.m. Thursday, the group got into the leased van, which broke down
in Houston. The group had to wait eight hours while the vehicle was
repaired. Then it resumed its trek toward Hialeah on Friday morning.

Source: Among last Cubans to cross into the U.S., migrant at home in
Hialeah | Miami Herald –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Zapata lives
Zapata lives
No place to live
No place to live